Sunday, January 16, 2011

Memoirs


My Dad is really into genealogy and family history.. he also happens to be quite good at it and has written over 6 books from both sides of my family's history.

He is currently teaching the "Family History Class" in our church and its by far one of my favorite classes I've ever been too. The class consists of everyone writing memories from their childhood and sharing with the class. He also teaches the class how to use the Church's family history site (that anyone can use to track down there ancestors).

Trey and I have been the class many times and every time I go it always touches me in special ways. As a generation we don't realize how important it is to know where you've come from, and who's come before. Its one of the greatest gifts anyone can receive. My dad urges the class to write down memories consistently whether it's a paragraph or 10 pages long.

We have decided that every sunday we will type a childhood memory and a memory for our relationship. Today was our first day, it was so neat to read them to each other and I cant wait to see how many memories we can come up with. I also think it will be really cool for our future generations to read our history.

So I encourage anyone who reads this to try writing your memoirs :)



Thanks Dad :)


4 comments:

  1. what was your memory you taught today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. how you put the turkey in my sandwich and tricked me. haha we didn't teach it though just write them down

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. that is a funny story. I remember it well. packing out lunches and sitting indian style in the boys fort... i miss that fort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good idea!! I loved the class too when I went. They're great teachers!!

    ReplyDelete