Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Protest Music

I am currently taking an Advance Persuasion class, its one of my favorite classes and I've learned a lot of cool stuff (Trey gets to hear about it every Tuesday and Thursday). This week we had an assignment to pick a protest song, play it in front of the class, and explain why the song is persuasive and what functions does the song use to persuade audiences.
Some of these functions are:

  • Gives information (social problems, future, past and present)
  •  Identifies who the victims are and who the guilty are
  • Achieving legitimacy (showing worth) 
  • Demand a right or action
  • Create Awareness
  • Build Cohesion
  • Creates Commitment

Now who ever follows this blog knows that I already love music, and am usually pretty good at understanding songs, but have you ever looked up the lyrics to a powerful or influential song? Its amazing how much more you will learn and be inspired.

I felt a little depressed after class because a lot of the songs people chose were about things like: Suicide, Lynching, Atomic Bombs, and Hate. However these are all things that need to change.

I chose the song Changes by Tupac Shakur who was ironically shot because of hate... its a great song!!

Here is the music video and the lyrics....

5 comments:

  1. Love this song! I miss John's classes :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel yay I didnt know you had a blog!! I know i miss having a class with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made it the other day! I'm still trying to figure it out haha. We all need to do something before the end of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH yes did heather did not tell you we are having a girls night tomorrow? cOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She told me, I can't go I have a study group :( But I still want to do something! Maybe next week... or the next.. haha we'll figure something out!

    ReplyDelete