Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Remembering


I have a friend who was lucky enough to visit Germany and had the opportunity to go to an actual concentration camp.  She wrote a blog post about her experience and it inspired me to share these photos from the Holocaust memorial here in Boston.  Ever since I read "The Diary of Anne Frank" in school and learned about the Holocaust I have been drawn to the history of the Holocaust (Its weird I know.)

The memorial in Boston is breath-taking. There are tall glass towers, each tower representing a concentration camp. The towers are lined with numbers. These number represent every Jew that was killed during this tragic time in our history.  As you walk from one tower to the next steam rises from the ground to represent the gas chambers. I found myself getting emotional as I walked through the memorial. I am grateful that I am able to learn, and somewhat morn for those who lost their lives. I realize even now horrific things like this are still going on in our world today. I hope someday it will all end.

""At first the bodies weren't burned they were buried, In January, 1944 we were forced to dig up the bodies so they could be burned, when the last mass grave was opened, I recognized my whole family. My mother, my sister and their kids, they were all there"- Holocaust survivor



I cant remember all the words, but this one was about 2 friends. One friend found a raspberry on the ground and kept it in their pocket all day, it was their only possession and at the end of the day he/she gave the raspberry to their friend.


"My younger sister went up to a Nazi soldier with one of her friends, standing naked, embracing each other she asked to be spared. He looked into her eyes and shot the two of them. They fell together in their embrace, my sister and her young friend"

2 comments:

  1. Wow you have no idea how much I love Anne Frank. I would have loveddd to see this. My sis went to their hiding place in Europe and I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it is seriously on my bucket list to visit as many memorials or actual sites as possible! oh and we're coming to crescent bar for like 3 days:)

    ReplyDelete